Constipated - so what ?

I am in my early 50's and eat well, but I only empty my bowels once every 7-10 days.The stools are lumpy,wide and firm and sometimes take a lot of effort to pass, but otherwise no problems.I never take laxatives or have enemas.So why do some people get so concerned about their constipation after not going for just a few days ?
AdelleDon't worry. My doctor says that over a period of years the large bowel and rectum get used to storing large lumpy stools by stretching, and the anal muscles gradually adapt to pass large widths.I am glad you or your daughters are not conned into buying any form of laxatives.The only downside is that my stools - often 2.5 inches in diameter after a week or more of constipation - may up to take 15 minutes to gradually pass and then refuse to be flushed and block the loo.

Hi Hermione,She is 11 yrs old her stools are between 1 an 2 inches in diameter, they are firm to hard,dry and lumpy. She says its like her anus isnt big enough for it to come through hence she has to strain hard to get it out often causing her to bleed. I am not sure if its the straining or the stool that is causing the bleeding.Even when she isnt constipated and is straining to produce she bleeds without having passed any stool.Adelle
|I personally don't want to carry waste in my body for any longer than a day....I can't imagine not having regular bowel movements.I found an article that talks about how people have gotten relief from constipation - maybe this will help those of you that want to get the poop out ;)/oxy-powder-review...
in my case i suffer constipation that leads to Hemorrhoid every time i poo blood comes along...the toilet bowl water turns red...i watch my diet.. eating high on fiber even fruits such papaya but still not effective. Then one time a friend told me to take a beer every night before going to bed. Guess what? It WORKS...in the morning my stool became soft. No more blood. i even poo everyday now thanks to him, thanks to the beer no more expensive medicine just natural alcohol...so to everyone who suffers Hemorrhoid due to constipation do The Filipino Way! Drink 1 to two bottles of beer every night before going to bed. And in the morning or afternoon try to poo(basically you will poo because of beer). Its important to poo everyday to flash toxic and not to make the stool hard.while dringking beer eat dalandan or orange or lemon it will make it more effective.
recently I have really hard and lumpy stools and it was so bad that everytime I faecate I bleed. Most probably due to anal fissure. Been very depressed about it. I drink about 2 over litres of water a day. eat bananas, and many other fruits and vegetables.
My son is 15 years old and spends up to two hours or so in the bathroom trying to go. He doesn't have pain but the stool is very wide and hard that even Kohler’s top of the line widest toilet can’t handle the flush. The stool has to be cut to be flushed. Is there a tablet that might soften the stool so it can be flushed without cutting it? He refuses to cut it so guess who get’s stuck! Help.|||Well, here is my slant on chia seeds. I am a 58 year old female, who has had cronic constipation for several years. I had had several ruptured disks in my lower back years ago, and had been put on narcotic painkillers for several months. I had heard they were constipating and assumed that was the cause. Looking back, I think the real cause was nerve damage, because prior to that I never experienced constipation, and after going off of the painkillers, the constipation got progressively worse until I was in agony with it. I had a stroke in Auguest of '07, and constipation took on a whole new dimension. I was having a bowel movement once every 6 days or so after 2 or 3 days of terrible pain and straining. I couldn't sit, I had no "push" or urge to go at all, just bloating, swelling and a terribly full rectum. The stool was invariably dry, and in little round pellets, kind of like deer droppings, even though I was taking 2 collace capsules every night. I tried Fiber Choice, bran cereal, prues, prune juice (I did hear taking a full glass of prune juice and lying on your left side for 30 minutes would really do the trick, and it did work once or twice, but then it didn't any more.) I tried lots of roughage (salad every day, sometimes twice a day), spinach, sour kraut, lots of home remedy suggestions, no results. My doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia, I gagged it down (why didn't she tell me it came in tablets?) and it worked. Once. Never again. I was looking for information of psyllium husks and Metimucil when I ran across an article about Salvia (Chia Seeds) ending constipation. They made it sound like a miracle. I ordered 3 one pound bags and made the gel.(1/3 cup of seeds, 2 cups of water, stir, wait 5 minutes, stir again.) The gel can be stored in the fridge, eat 2 heaping tablespoonsful every morning. Surprisingly, it isn't slimy, it is very enjoyable, fun to pop the little tender seeds. At first I was stirring it into bran cereal, it didn't taste bad, but looked awful. Then I just ate the gel. At first I thought it was another dud idea, and almost gave up. Nothing happened for about the usual 6 days, but then I had a very full, painless BM, almost no straining, and felt much better. Then nothing for 2 more days, then another large easy BM. Then a regular BM every day for the next 3 days. Two days more, no BM, then a BM every day for the next 3 days. All easy, fully formed. The next day I had 2 BMs. Today I had another. This works. It really does. Don't give up too soon, evidently it takes about a week or so to get going, then you're pretty much set. I had to pass this on as I know what the misery of constipation is, and if even one person benefits from what I have learned it will have been worthwhile. I am using the regular black seeds. Right after I ordered them, I saw lots of ads online that say only the white ones work. I also saw the articles that say that is so much hype, and both colors were tested and had identical properties. Of course, the white are about 4 times more expensive than the black, and if I hadn't already gotten the black ones I would have liked to try the white, but they are working for me just fine. I paid about $6 a pound for them online, lots of places sell them. They are the mysterious "SALVIA" you are hearing about, just another name for the same thing, a cheap, readily available seed grown in Mexico. Its even the same seeds used to grow the green stuff on Chia pets! Lots of Omega 3 oils, lots of other benefits supposedly, and I guess that is probably true, but they do put an end to constipation, at least for me. Until I found them I was considering dynamite! They can also be used in cooking, or just sprinkled over other foods, my husband likes it in oatmeal, I like the gel myself. If anybody has any questions about my experience with this stuff, I would be glad to help if I can.Best wishes,Missy
 I need to go! I was at work this morning, i felt sick so went to the toilet where i realised i was REALLY constipated. I'm really scared cos when i went i'm sure i felt a hemorrhoid...anyway my poo just would not come out and i was freaking out about hemorrhoids so i came home. Went to get some fibre drink cos i get sick from normal laxative tablets. I'm sitting here now dying to go to the toilet but i know it's going to rip me apart and i worry that a hemmorrhoid will come out while i'm at it. I'm a hyperchondriac too so i think i'll wait til my boyfriend gets home and he can sit outside the door in case i die lol. Wish me luck!:o/